Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Howell Wetlands




On my way home from work on Monday I stopped by the Howell Wetlands. It is an interesting place in an interesting location. It is right in the middle of the west side of Evansville. It is the remnants of an old channel of the Ohio river. You can learn more at the following link.
http://www.wesselmannaturesociety.org/wetlands/index.php





I should figure out what type of ducks these are - other than black and white.











These kids were playing in the swamp. There were a lot of softball games at a nearby park. I suspect they were escapees from there.









Not sure what type of heron or stork this is. I wonder if it might be a juvenile.









Another shot of the stork.

No major photo lessons today other than to reinforce that it is a good idea to stop down a little when shooting at the maximum zoom setting.






I went back a couple of days later and got these 2 shots of a Canada goose cruising around and feeding. I should have used a little faster shutter speed. 1/80 sec wasn't quite fast enough to remove all the subject motion. It was ok from a camera shake perspective. I shot these at f11 and ISO 200 so I had options. Live and learn.






The goose's butt is over exposed, also. Need to dial in a little negative exposure composition to account for the very green scene. No bright sky to average into the exposure. Consequently the metering system left the shutter open a little longer than required for the goose.

View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment