Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Rural Beijing

Corn drying in Huairou, Beijing

I tend to think of Beijing as being exclusively a super large city. After all the population is over 20 million. However, the outlying areas are very rural. On our way to the Great Wall we passed through the Huairou district. There was corn everywhere drying in the cool autumn weather.


Art students near the Great Wall

Closer to Great Wall there were busloads of art students sketching or painting the scenery.


I saw this several times although I'm not sure what is going on. It looks like they are harvesting cedar branches. I have no idea what it is used for.
Coal piles in Huairou county


In this part of Beijing coal is still used for heating.

I took this out the car window as we drove by.
Corn drying in the sun on a street in Huairou district of Beijing


This area got organized and closed down this road in order to dry their corn. I'm not sure why they use this technique other than it is a lot cheaper than buying fuel for a corn dryer. No shortage of labor in China.
Worker helping to dry corn in Beijing


This guy is cleaning up husks and cobs.







Corn drying in the sun in Beijing, China


Here is another shot I took out the van window as we drove by.

No comments:

Post a Comment